Custom Search

Thursday, August 7, 2008

A Typical Malaysian Day

I was born, bred and live in Kuala Lumpur. The only 'kampung' (hometown) I know is PJ Old Town where my mum is from. As a typical Malaysian adult, I woke up in the morning getting ready for work. Once in my car I will switch on the radio and listen to my favourite show from 988, "Hello, Good Morning". You get to know the latest headlines from the newspaper just by listening to this show. You will hear people complaining about a new policy that is being debated in the parliament or whether extending the toll collection is better than raising the toll fees by 10% in 2009.



DJ Jeff from 988, the co-host of "Hello, Good Morning"


Once I reached my office, which is a 20 minutes drive from home (jams included). I'll stop by stall just outside the office building by the corner and a buy a packet of Nasi Lemak Paru from a pak cik and his son.



Economical yet satisfying

After logging in to my desktop and my workplace, I'll take the packet of Nasi Lemak Paru and go down the cafeteria to eat it with a glass of teh tarik ordered from the Mamak. It just goes so well with the nasi lemak.

Come lunch me and my colleague will that the shuttle bus provided by the company to Pusat Bandar Damansara building to have 'chap fun' (economical rice). Have our choice of vegetables and meat. Which will cost about RM 5.00. Yes, pricing is about there in the City.

After work, I'll go home and catch up with my favourite show from 8TV. Ho Chak! Which show the audience food around Malaysia. By watching this show, I will know where to find some good local delicacy if I plan to travel to Shah Alam, Ipoh, Malacca, Johor Bharu, George Town, Seremban, Kuala Terengganu, Kota Bharu, Kuantan, Kuala Kangsar, Alor Setar, Kuching or even Kota Kinabalu. Each of this places have their own uniqueness. A good way to take the buzz off the hectic city life.



My favourite host from Ho Chak! Ah Yoon (吳家潤)

Come late night, I might go to the mamak stall and have some roti canai and teh halia and watch EPL with friends. Once in a blue moon, me and my colleague will indulge in some sin but good food such as Bah Kut Teh. Not advisable to eat too often for those with high blood pressure or heart problem =p



Malaysian prefer open air dining


So, from what I just written you'll know that what I like about Malaysia is firstly the food and then the friendly people like the pak cik that sells nasi lemak by the road side or the mamak that make a good glass of teh halia. Freedom to speak in my mother tongue (Cantonese), listen to a radio station that I prefer and watching TV programmes that I like.

About 4 more weeks from now will be our country, Malaysia's 51st Independence Day. To celebrate this, The Malaysia Page has publish 50+1 Malaysia book, which showcases photographs of the uniqueness of Malaysian and Malaysia. This book is now on sales here, and will be available in major bookstore later. There is a Special Offer now if purchased online. Oh, if you're a blogger, you might have a chance to with this book too from this contest.




Thanks to Kelly for posting about this and thanks to QuaChee and gang to work hard and publish such a wonderful book.

5 comments :

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

yeah sad to say..mines like that too..skip the supper..

but bak kut teh once in a blue moon, how can you do pork such justice? hahah shud make it more often..or do u leave it for the weekends hahaha..

curryegg said...

Wow... I like the host too, Ah Yoon. Haha... and welcome. QuaChee and team have really worked hard on it.. ;)

Proud to be a Malaysia... :P

=chuan guan= said...

so lucky..so lucky u r...haiz

Simon Seow said...

Joe: old adi, can't take too much of the good stuff lol

Kelly: welcome

chuanguan: yeah, I know. rare chances, don't always happen.

Anonymous said...

Haha... macam everything are related to food.