Custom Search

Monday, February 2, 2009

MAS Lou Sang Dinner at Mum's Place

Chinese New Year in Malaysia and Singapore is never complete if one don't go for 'lou sang'. It's been kind of a tradition for the Chinese in the Straits here. My first 'lou sang' started almost 11 days before Chinese New Year. Thanks to the good people from Malaysian Airlines (MAS) to flew me and 24 other more famous bloggers.




I came to Mum's Place in Damansara Perdana after my cooking workshop stint. Here again I met one of my team mate in the cooking workshop, Babe KL. Meeting her two times in a day. I met her hubby and son too. Nice and friendly bunch.

Before the dinner start. Wai Fong from MAS gave us a short briefing. Thanks for the invitation.




Let the feast begin. The first dish, is of course 'yee sang'. BabeKL and family, John, Cindy, KampungBoyCityGal and I toss and toss and toss. That's lou sang. Salmon is used as the raw fish ingredient. The sauce is quite sourish which is very appetizing but a bit too sourish for my taste. Still it taste good.

Rating: 3.5/5

Yee Sang

After tossing, I went around taking pictures of other tables.


Spotted Ringo and Kenny.


Next up is fried otak-otak. Personally I prefer steamed otak-otak but this one is not too bad. Goes very well with the marinated onion and cili padi (bird eye chili) dip. It's kind of spicy so if you can't take hot stuff, you might want to skip the dip.

Rating: 3.5/5

Fried Otak-otak


Stir fried vegetable (I think it is potato leaf) is next. Very fresh and not overcooked. Taste is normal.

Rating: 3/5



Stir fried vegetable.

Then comes the prawn with butter & garlic. This prawn dish is marvelous and the prawn is fresh and springy. The sauce is quite addictive too. I cleaned out the sauce from the prawn only then I eat the meat lol. A must order when coming to mum's place.

Rating: 4/5

Prawn with butter & garlic.


Devil Curry, a very famous Peranakan dish. Very flavourful yet not too spicy for me. Goes very well with white rice.

Rating: 4/5

Devil Curry

As Peranakan food also have some Portuguese influence in it, this Portuguese Beef Slice must be it. I like the way they put in the tao pok (dried tofu) too. The tao pok can suck in the juice from the beef and become very flavourful. The beef is well marinated and very tender.

Rating: 4/5

Portuguese Beef Slice

The Asam Pedas Jehanak (fish cook in asam and chili) seems to be a popular dish here because my friend ordered this too the second time I came for dinner here during CNY. I gravy is not too bad but I found it too bland. Not sour and spicy enough. Another good dish to go with rice though.

Rating: 3/5


Asam Pedas Jenahak

After devouring all the main, Wai Fong offer us to order dessert too. So, while waiting for the dessert, us bloggers of course will camwhore.



From top left (clock wise): KampungBoyCityGal, Nicole & Linora, Kenny Sia, and Ringo.



From top left (clock wise): Thomas, Cindy, Huai Bin and KY.


Joyce and I were wearing flower theme that night.



Suanie too is wearing plants. lol

Wingz, Red Mummy and Sultan Muzzafar were there too.

Here comes the dessert.

Forgot who's Thai Sago Water Chestnut dessert.

I ordered red bean cendol. The cendol is very pandan-ish and the red bean paste has a very nice texture. A little bit too sweet for my taste, nevertheless a very nice dessert.

Rating: 3.5/5




Lastly everyone went home with goodies from MAS. Air tickets to Hong Kong! I wished. Well still the goodies are very festive. Pineapple tart, a diary and a pen drive bracelet.



The goodies. The MAS airplane model not included, sorry.

Thank you once again MAS for the delicious dinner.


P.S. Andy Lau dine here before too. Here's the proof. Picture from hanging on the wall.




Address:

Mum's Place
31-1, 33-1, 35-1, 37-1 & 39-1
Jalan PJU 8/5A
Bandar Damansara Perdana,
47820 Petaling Jaya.
Tel : 03 - 7727 8443


Other Ppl's View:

Babe in KL
Sultan Muzaffar
Red Mummy
Wingz
Huai Bin

16 comments :

Anonymous said...

wow so nice.. wat pen drive bracelet? must be very cute..

Anonymous said...

It's jenahak, no jehanak.

The play looks homey ;)

Simon Seow said...

wen pink: Nah, it's just a pen drive with a long rubber that can connect at the end to form a the shape of a bracelet.

NotahHitam: thanks for pointing out. Yupe, they sell wood craft that is on display in the restaurant too.

TZ said...

Dude, from the title i thot u r having yee sang dinner @ your mom's place ... kakaka :p

The food looks yummy! :) I'm eating too much food for the past one week... need to work out hard ... hit the gym :p

Babe_KL said...

i so love the beef here!

Marc said...

All the food look so delicious man!

Michelle Chin said...

Luckily I have eaten a good lunch. Or else, bye bye diet plan.

Carrie Tai said...

The Portugese beef slice looks super yummy!

Charlie said...

wah so nice. never invite me ?

Simon Seow said...

TZ: lol, ya the name is quite funny if put into conversation. I'm doing detox now after all those food.

babe: yah, beef ftw!

Marc: taste delicious too

Michelle: lol, good to eat first before visiting my blog

Cheddarina: Indeed

Charlie: er...I'm not the organizer so, I can't invite anyone.

HitoMi Ng said...

the Yee sang so thick One??

Love prawns^^ but it does not look that yummy as you said

devil curry not supposed in green??

So nice got free Dinner wo...where you stay?

Anonymous said...

It's so nice to be at West hor.. Seeing you all always got free food to eat, and free place to hang out and had fun !!

NOT FAIR !!!!

JLow said...

Hi Simon,

Thanks for the plug for my blog!

I was actually there under MAS capacity!

But (another selfless plug), thanks for the lovelink anyway!

Glad you enjoyed the dinner.

John

Simon Seow said...

Hitomi: ya the salmon given is quite generous.

Devil curry is not green curry.

yah, I got invited mah. I say in Segambut.

Rose: well, Kenny is from Kuching too wor

John: You're welcome. Of course I know you're from MAS.

Jen said...

ooo mum's place is the same row as my office! haha my bosses took us all for lunch there on my first day of work =P

vialentino said...

WALAU....LOOKING AT UR FOOD PICS...KILLED ME INSTANTLY....YUMMY LER!