Custom Search

Friday, May 11, 2012

Santouka Ramen, Pavilion

There seems to be many ramen shops mushrooming in Klang Valley these few months. One of the famous one is of course Santouka. Originated from Japan, Santouka specialized in Hokkaido style ramen. A few moons ago I went to Pavilion for a Moet & Chandon event and I came from work without having anything to eat. So, I decided to try out the famous Santouka Ramen in Tokyo Street at Pavilion.

I ordered their popular and limited Tokusen Toroniku Ramen. The toroniku chashu made from pork cheek meat is only sold in limited serving. If not mistaken, only about 50 or 100 bowls will be sold per day. This is due to the limited supply of pork cheek. A pig only has 200-300g of usable pork cheek meat.


I heard many people complained that the soup here is a bit too salty. Instead of turning away from it, I know I came to the right place because Hokkaido style ramen is saltier than other style of ramen in Japan. If you prefer less salty ramen, I recommend you Yamagoya Kyushu style ramen in Duta Solaris. I'll blog about it in another post.

The good thing here is that they will put the sides for the ramen in a separate plate. You have a choice to add in as you eat but I like to put everything in.


Ramen-ya or ramen shop in Japan will always have gyoza available. So, Santouka is also following the tradition. I found that the gyoza here is a bit too small for my liking but the filling is quite juicy.


Albeit, the ramen here is a bit pricey but what I ordered is a premium part of a pork. It's still cheaper to go to Singapore or fly to Japan to have a taste of authentic Hokkaido style ramen. If you happen to come to Pavilion, why not give it a try? You might start to love the salty taste of Hokkaido ramen.


Address:
Level 6, Pavilion KL
168 Jalan Bukit Bintang
55100 Kuala Lumpur
Tel: (03) 2143-8878

0 comments :