Custom Search

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Video Games Live 2012, Kuala Lumpur

I've read about Video Games Live two years ago that some of my blogger friends went and blogged about it. All the reviews were saying that VGL is awesome. Then last month I read that VGL will be held in Istana Budaya this year on 26th and 27th of May. When I tried to get the ticket, it was sold out.

Then on 26th I saw GPlusMY is giving out tickets for VGL on that day itself. So, I joined the tweeting contest and I was lucky to be one of the three winner. Thank you Glitterati Plus MY and Nuffnang Malaysia.

I arrived at Istana Budaya around 7.15 p.m., the show will starts at 8.30 p.m. Already the parking is quite hard to get even though I came an hour earlier. There was a long queue in the hallway. It turns out to be the fans queuing up to buy the merchandise like T-shirt, poster, CD and DVD


There was also a cosplaying contest. So, I happened to see some cosplayers there.


Besides cosplaying contest, there was also a Guitar Heroes contest. Winner get to go on stage in one of the act and go home with some cool VGL merchandizes.

 



The doors open at 8 p.m. Tony, Alex and I got the ticket from Shaz, current president of GPlusMY. I went in at about 8.20 p.m. because I chit chat with some friends that I bumped into outside the hallway. I think they were choosing the cosplaying winner went I got into the orchestra hall.



The set was performed by the National Symphonic Orchestra of Malaysia and choir. Conducted by Emmanuel Fratianni. Hosted by the creator of VGL and world famous video games composer, Tommy Tallarico. Soprano cum flutist, Laura Intravia.



It's more like a rock concert than a orchestra. The audiences were encouraged to make noise and there are a lot of interactive sessions. In one part, two audiences were asked to come up stage to battle it out in a game of Frogger, while the symphony play according to their game play.


Some of the highlights are the surprise appearance by the composer of Metal Gear series, Norihiko Hibino. He did a duet using his saxophone with Laura on "Snake Eater".


Then Laura shows off her flute playing skill by turning into Flute Link from Zelda. She led the symphony in doing Zelda medley.


Some of my favourite is the opening theme of Final Fantasy 8 and Crono Trigger and Crono Cross medley. Here's a short clip of the Crono medley.



VGL doesn't ends after the orchestra performance. There was a meet and greet session. The queue of the fans wanting to get autograph is so long.




Video Games Live is one great show that worth all the money. Wish they will come again next year.

0 comments :