Custom Search

Monday, March 3, 2008

Die, Die Must Try! Bak Chor Mee

Actually this post suppose to be day 4 on my Singapore trip, and I haven't even finish posting about day 2. But due to some "pressures" from Nipples Joe, I'll have to skip two days and post this up first.

I found this hidden gem two years ago when I came to Singapore for a visit and a wisdom tooth extraction in my uncle's clinic. I took the MTR and reached China Town station. I walk around looking for good food, and to find good food in Singapore, it's either the up market restaurant or a hidden gem in a hawker center.

So, aiming at the HDB flat a few blocks away, I walk towards it. I took me 15 minutes walking from People's Park. There, I reached Hong Lim Market & Food Center. I went up the first floor, going from stall to stall. Nothing that I see at first I found any interest of. Then in one end of the corner there is a stall that caught my eyes. This stall is selling Bak Chor Mee (Minced Pork Mee in Hokkien). Since at that time I haven't really tried Bak Chor Mee, which is a specialty in Singapore, you can't find it in Malaysia. Ordered a bowl, and I loved it.

That is why on the trip during CNY, I promised myself, die, die must go there and eat Bak Chor Mee again. Did I forget to mention why I say die, die must try this Bak Chor Mee? See for yourself.



This Bak Chor Mee was endorsed by Makansutra with a 3 star die, die must try. It was already endorsed back in the year 2005, the first time I ate here. This is a renewed endorsement, which means they are keeping their quality and standard. Even though I already had a kuroi buta katsu (deep fried black pig meat) for lunch 2 hours ago but I will still going to order myself a bowl of Ah Kow Bak Chor Mee.





The picture can't do justice to this bowl of warm yummy bak chor mee. Comes with shredded shitake and minced pork, the mee is something like our wanton mee except that this one is really got the 'Q' texture. Not like your normal soggy wanton mee. Take a smell of the bak chor mee, and you can smell the flavorful taste of vinegar. Yes, the sauce is a mixture of sesame oil, soya sauce and vinegar. There might be some secret ingredient in the sauce too that I don't know of.





If you think the brownish crispy thing is pork lard, then you're wrong. It is actually dried squid fried flat fish (扁鱼) (thank you Mrs Forest for poiting this out). Without it this bowl of bak chor mee won't be that flavourful. Even though without it, the sauce alone will do but adding it just makes thing perfect.


The mee tasted excellent with the sauce which is sourish but not very. Just right for me. I can't take too sourish food. The shitake mushrooms and minced pork is as good as what you'll find in your best pan mee stall. I finished the bowl of mee in 5 minutes. Ah, I'm in heaven.



Sorry for the blurry picture, I set the wrong mode when taking these pictures. I was too eager to eat the bak chor mee thus can' concentrate on taking pictures. This post is dedicated to Nic and XLB that are working in Singapore now. I recommend that both of you come here and try, if both of you haven't already. If it's not good, come back and chop my head.

Rating: 4.8/5

Address:
Blk 531A Upper Cross Street #02-43
Hong Lim Market Singapore 051531
Time: 0900 - 1800
Owner: Mr. Cher Hang Wah Handphone: 98460941

Website:

http://www.sbestfood.com/ahkow

12 comments :

Holly Jean said...

Bedok blk 85 market also has fucking good bak chor mee. ALl my friends always stop by there for supper after clubbing.

U are making me hungry.
Bad SImon!

Simon Seow said...

Bedok ah. Will ask you for direction next trip to Singapore.

I'm also hungry now. Still got 40 minutes more only I'm off work.

Samuel said...

OMG.... that is seriously irresistible....

Big Boys Oven said...

this looks so yummy delicious!

Simon Seow said...

samuel: yupe, if not that I've eaten 2 hours before, I can eat two bowls.

big boys oven: thanks for dropping by. It is yummy delicious!

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

ok la..i m so honoured for being mentioned..

ok la..will try to eat this when i go dwn to Singapore..which might be a while though..so put this in bookmark first yeah..

was it so good because this was like ur last meal b4 tat tooth extraction?

Chai Latte said...

wow. you make me want to fly to hong lim to eat that. yum yum.

Simon Seow said...

joe: welcome, no lah even with tooth extraction still can eat one, it's not as terrible as you thought. besides tooth extraction was two years ago. I didn't do any tooth extraction on this trip.

chai latte: thanks for dropping by. ya, you should fly to hong lim and try. lol.

HairyBerry said...

this is one of my fave bak chor mee stalls in the whole of sg...free flow of lard somemore! love it! there's another famous one at crawford lane, near lavender mrt stn. slightly different style...

Simon Seow said...

nic: kekeke, I didn't ask for more lard didn't know about that. So, that's mean I found something good.

simsimseow said...

Oh my brother!

That is not fried squid lah!They are actually fried flat fish, so called "扁鱼".

Yes,there is another good Bak Chor Mee at Bedok North and it only operates at night.

Simon Seow said...

Oh, thanks for pointing that out. Will edit it.

Bedok North ah, ok, will try to look it out next time I go to Singapore.