Custom Search

Thursday, December 11, 2008

Otak-otak Place, 1 Utama New Wing

The time twisted, and suddenly I was brought back to 1991. I was only in primary 6 back then. I walk around, the place look familiar yet so new to me. Ah, Tora and Ding Dang, junk food that I used to buy, not for the snack but for the toy that comes with it.




Suddenly feeling exhausted, I took a sit and suddenly man that look like my primary school headmaster asked a teacher to hand me an exercise book. What? It's been so many years I did not do homework on an exercise book.





What is this? I didn't remember that I went to a school call Otak-otak Place in primary. I studied in a school for Monkey Boys. I must be dreaming. So I flipped open the exercise book. Surprise, surprise. There's no home work to do but there's word to read. There's 16 different exam questions made up from the word "otak-otak". How cool is that. You might get A+ too for that.





The teacher ask me to choose one, so I chose Steamed Fish Otak-otak. "Sorry, many pupils had taken that so there's no more left", the teacher told me. Maybe it's because I was brought back to slightly after the masa berehat (recess time), the time on my watch is about 5 p.m. Left with only Steamed Squid Otak-otak and so be it.

I flipped the exercise book and discovered that this school is more than otak-otak. There's also Nasi Ayam Percik, Hainan Chicken Rice, Nasi Briyani Dam and etc. I remember that a fellow classmate of mine told me that the Nasi Briyani Dam is sure winner to score A. So, I chose that.




Before I starts to tackle the exam questions, I start to read the Ice Kopi to satisfy my thirst for knowledge. This must be a dream, why am I reading the Ice Kopi?



Steamed Squid Otak-otak (RM 3.90)


The first question is Steamed Squid Otak-otak. Hm... so creamy and the squid is still springy. It literally melts in my mouth. I must be going crazy, I am eating my exam question but it's just too hard to resist the temptation. I think if I have arrive earlier and take the Steamed Fish Otak-otak, I'll score better but nevertheless it still passed with flying colour.

Score: A-



Nasi Briyani Dam (RM 12.90)

The next question, looks like a multiple choice question that comes with a vegetable green curry, nasi briyani, papadam and a hidden trick question - chicken rendang. I had to dig deep to find the hidden trick question. So tricky the headmaster.

The green curry is not spicy at all, so it's easy for everyone. The nasi briyani is al dente, with the right type of rice, and spices thrown in. Just a bit dissapointed that the portion is not much. I'm a big taker. Chicken rendang is good but maybe the environment there is too cold or I just took a longer time to think about the answer that the chicken rendang is not warm anymore.

Score: A-



Hidden trick question.

"You can grow up and be a doctor if you study hard Seow, just like Dickie Dose", says the teacher. Huh? He looks more like a character from the card game I used to play, apa nama "Happy Family" if not mistaken.




Looking around while I was waiting for my exam result. I saw a fan that I think dated back to my grandfather's time. It's cold enough already so it's not turn on.





There were other pupils that still taking their exam.





After settling my exam score, I was suddenly back in the present. It's not a dream but a place that bring back memories when I was just a primary student. Ah, so nostalgic. That's Otak-otak Place. Still a lot more different questions dishes to explore. Will surely come back to take on the Steamed Fish Otak-otak.





Address:



For people that still wondering where Otak-otak Place is located at. It's at the new shops taking over the now defunct Giant.

Other ppl's view:

I might be the first one.

15 comments :

anne marie isabelle said...

cute old school place oh.... hmmm might make a stop there myself...

honestly wats ur rating of the food from 1-5?

Simon Seow said...

I purposely change the rating for this post. So A- is equivalent to 4/5.

Anonymous said...

Haha... nice way to describe the food but school canteen got Tora and Ding Dong meh??

Charlie said...

you were in 1U today? i was there too and its so pack, it took me 30 minutes to get a parking. Anyway the food looks good. I shall give it a try the next time i drop by.

ling239 said...

i am still trying to figure out which corner this place is hiding....>.<"

Simon Seow said...

jason: I think got gua, can't remember.

Charlie: I didn't say I went there today. I'm not like you post on the same day. No time lah.

ling239: It's at the new shops taking over the now defunct Giant.

ekeng said...

yeah. u are first person to blog Otak Otak place. I want to go there. But no time. Damn. I want to eat otak otak now.

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

hahah creative way of writing that review..

TZ said...

Nowadays, there's lots of restaurant that try to bring back those memory when we were in the school days... errrr... to attract their customers :p

rokh said...

eh ye first student :P i want to get A too, time to try it out ;)

Anonymous said...

I think you're definitely the first to review this place. It's opposite the BBQ restaurant right, walked past it quite a few times already.. Would give it a quick bite next time since you said it's good, hehe. If not, then you owe me one :P

Precious Pea said...

Wow..one long list of otak-otak dishes. Am not a fan though but i shall try it, maybe it will makes me more brainy. LOL! Yes, i think you are the first reviewer of OOP.

Joyce Rachel Lee said...

Thanks for your great photos of Otak-Otak, I've linked and give credits to you. :)

http://joycescapade.blogspot.com/2009/01/friday-3-otak-otak-place-one-utama.html

Anonymous said...

Wow. interesting write-up. Just been there once
The environment not bad eh...

Simon Seow said...

ekeng: i'm the first eh lol.

Joe: thanks

TZ: yeah, because gone are the good old days

Jackson: thanks for dinner ;)

rokh: ;)

vkeong: so, do I owe you one ? lol

Ivy: otak-otak is an acquired taste? lol

Joyce: oh, thanks for the credit given

Michelle: thanks