Custom Search

Saturday, September 15, 2012

Menya Musashi (麺屋武蔵), 1 Utama

I've been reading rave review about the ramen in Menya Musashi, 1 Utama. It's quite new and it's inside the 2nd floor of Isetan, 1 Utama. This floor houses many other Japanese eateries from sushi, ramen, Japanese cuisine, Korean BBQ and also Puran Bi (Plan B).


I came here around 5.30 p.m. which is a bit early for dinner because I don't want to have to queue up when this place is usually packed during dinner hours. I chose to set by the open kitchen where I can see the action going on while the staffs were dishing out the ramen. It was quite fun watching them work.




Musashi is actually the name of a legendary swordsman in Japan during the Shogun era. He was very skilled in kendo and almost no one has defeated him before. So, to put his name in the menya (noodle house), it must mean that the ramen here is unbeatable.


I ordered the Kuro Musashi Ramen, one of the 3 unique soup base from Menya Musashi. For this black soup base, it is consist of black-fried shallots with garlic. The other two are Shiroi Musashi and Akai Musashi. They gave a very generous amount of chashu (braised pork belly) that is very balance in term of the meat and fat ratio. Yums. Of course, nowadays every ramen shop will have the marinated soft-boiled egg, which is cooked to perfection. As expected, the soup here is not very salty as in Santouka, which is a Hokkaido style ramen. The noodle is very springy. I will say, their ramen got my approval as one of the best in Klang Valley.




As always when I eats at a ramen shop, I'll order their gyoza to gauge their quality. This is like ordering fries in McDonald's to gauge the standard of their outlet. The gyoza was not too bad but also nothing to shout about.


I think one the secret why their noodle is so springy might be the way the rinse the noodle before they serve it. Watch the video below to see how it was done. =P



Forgive me for the picture quality because it was spur of the moment that I went here to eat, hence picture was taken with my Nokia E7, which has the worse phone camera I've every seen. =P

I happened to bumped into Ying Zi's post about Menya Musashi in Raffles City, Singapore. She took video of how they cook the noodle from inside the kitchen. Click here to find out more.

Address:

Menya Musashi
2nd Floor Isetan 1Utama
Bandar Utama
Tel: +603 7713 7777
Dining Hours:
Sun - Thu 11.00am - 10.00pm (last order 9.30pm)
Fri, Sat & Public Holiday 11.00am - 10.30pm (last order 10.00pm)

3 comments :

TheJessicat said...

NOMNOMNOM!
Japanese food is absolute LOVE to me no matter where :D

Unknown said...

yumm!

Simon Seow said...

Jessica: Japanese food FTW!

Eunice: yumm is right.