Custom Search

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Lim Chee Guan (林志源) 肉干Bak Kwa, Chinatown, Singapore

Many of us in Malaysia will be very familiar with Bee Cheng Hiang the bak kwa (pork jerky) chain from Singapore. If I were to buy bak kwa in Malaysia, I will prefer Wing Heong (永香) which has been selling bak kwa for a few decades in Kuala Lumpur.


What if I am in Singapore, the hometown of Bee Cheng Hiang? Yes, Bee Cheng Hiang is easily available and be found in Singapore because there are so many outlets there. In fact, you can even find BCH in Hong Kong. For a Malaysian taste bud like me, I prefer Lim Chee Guan another famous bak kua store in Singapore, which only recently expanded their operation to 3 outlets (including the main branch). I found that their pork jerky is not too sweet like BCH's.


Since 1938.


I think Lim Chee Guan wanted to ensure that the quality control and assurance is there, hence the lack of expansion. Even though there aren't many outlets but still people will wait in queue for hours to buy LCG bak kwa for Chinese New Year. So I think most of the locals here also prefer Lim Chee Guan. That's why my sister purposely asked me to come to Chinatown to buy 500gm of bak kua for my uncle before the dinner at Si Chuan Dou Hua (四川豆花饭莊) later that evening.


It's already the 9th day of CNY, yet there's still a queue.

On the wall in this main branch at New Bridge Road, Chinatown there are newspaper cutting showing the long queue of people trying to buy bak kua on past Chinese New Years. I heard this year the queue is still that long.



If you ever come to Singapore, then you can try to buy Lim Chee Guan's bak kwa and compare it with the one in Malaysia. For me, I found it to be as good as Malaysia's. Those that prefer sweeter one might like Bee Cheng Hiang instead though.

Address:

Lim Chee Guan

Main Branch:
203 New Bridge Road (Chinatown MRT Exit A)

Branch:
People's Park Complex #01-25 (Chinatown MRT Exit C, just directly opposite the main branch)
ION Orchard #B4-37 (Orchard MRT)

Website: www.limcheeguan.sg
Email: info@limcheeguan.sg

Other Ppl's View:

Eat Like Us

2 comments :

DarKScoRpioN said...

Lim Chee Guan Singapore's queue is just crazy every year. But not much of a choice. Just have to queue cos they make the best bak kwa in town.

Simon Seow said...

Well, don't go buy last minute lor lol.