Custom Search

Sunday, January 24, 2010

New Beggar's Delicious Restaurant, Ijok

Last Saturday, WackyBecky invited me to join her and her friends for a meal of beggar's chicken in Ijok. I don't know where is Ijok so I met them in Kelana Jaya first. Only then she told me that Ijok is actually before Kuala Selangor. -_- It will be much nearer going there from my house which is near Kepong. It also started to rain cats and dogs in LDP all the way to NKVE.

It's quite easy to go to Ijok. If you are from PJ area, go into NKVE from the Tropicana toll. Drive towards Sg. Buloh. From the Sg. Buloh exit turn left into Sg. Buloh and follow the sign to Kuala Selangor. Just all the way straight after you see Ijok sign, still go straight then look out on your left for the New Beggar's Delicious Restaurant signage, turn left into a trunk road. After turning in, you'll notice that you're going into a palm oil estate. About 1 minute drive later you'll see New Beggar's Delicious Restaurant on your right. If you're coming from Kepong, just follow the Sg. Buloh road from the cross road that turn left will be LDP. Go straight using the fly over towards Sg. Buloh.


Purple crackers. We didn't eat though.

It's quite cool to eat in some faraway place from the city. It's feels so peaceful here. Then I thought, it will be nice to have a BlackBerry here so that I can take picture and upload to my Twitter. Best of all is I'm using Xpax, which is now having the Xpax Big Freekin Sales. For the BlackBerry Advance (2.5G) is just RM 2.50/day. If I use it for 5 consecutive weekdays and I'll get Free BlackBerry Access on Saturday and Sunday. Free Twittering and Facebooking all the way. Also can check on my location using Google Maps if I got lost lol. Especially since Xpax got a very wide coverage so I think Ijok should have no problem.

Doing a quick calculation, if every weekday I use Xpax BlackBerry Advance to access Internet for like 20 days of weekday. I get weekend for free. So it comes down to RM 50 per month only for the data access. Which is cool for me because I seldom use voice call. I mostly SMS, Twitter and Facebooking only lol. I also can check my Gmail with the integrated mail services from BlackBerry push mail services. What more I can use MSN to chat with my friends in Ijok. Just as I was thinking about it WackyBecky suddenly pull me from my thought. She wanted to see where that beggar's chicken is cooked.

So, I ask one of the staff there using Cantonese. Later we found out they speaks Hokkien, which WackyBecky can speak, she's from Penang. As we were led to the cooking area, which is behind the house of the owner, the boss is already starting to open our orders of beggar's chicken, beggar's duck, beggar's pork knuckle and beggar's fish from the harden mud.






We then make our way to the oven area behind the house.


This is where the beggar's (insert meat) is cooked.


They use wood for the fire.

It needs about 4 hours to cook the beggar's chicken (RM 41). So, the chicken is expected to be very tender. Chinese herb is used to cook it. It's like herbal chicken, just that the way they cook it is different. Not too bad.

Rate: 3.5/5


Beggar's Chicken.


The favourite for all of us is the pork knuckle (RM 41). Oh my god, it literally melts in your mouth. It don't feels very fatty at all. The yam that it cooks with absorb all the gravy and pork goodness, so you must try the yam too. Sinfully goodness.

Rating: 4.5/5


Beggar's Pork Knuckle.


The glutinous rice is another favourite. It is like a very big bah chang. WackyBecky told me that there's about 10 salty egg yolks inside, also with shitake and pork meat. The aroma is a bit different from the normal bah chang. Maybe it's because this one is baked instead of steamed. It's also not watery like the steamed version.

Rating: 4/5


Glutinous rice.


The beggar's duck (RM45) tasted not like your usual duck. The gamey taste is not that strong already and the texture feels more like chicken rather than duck. The gravy goes very well with the duck. We all voted that the duck is better than the chicken lol.

Rating: 4/5


Beggar's duck.

The stuffed fish (RM 33) is the last to come. All the fish meat are taken out to make fish paste and the stuffed back to the fish. After baking it, the fish are deep fried. Hence the fish skin is very crispy and there's still a bit of fish meat sticking on it. So when you bite into it, you'll find 3 different layer of texture. The fish paste is full of real fish meat too not floury at all.

Rating: 4/5


Stuffed fish.

We ordered another plate of stir-fried potato leaf (RM 8) because we thinkg that we have to balance all the meat with some green. The vegetable is very fresh and not old at all.


Stir-fried potato leaf.

It's a wonderful meal with some wonderful people in a wonderful place that is quite close to nature.


Guess where the fish came from? If the fish here is not fresh, I don't know where is.



I guess the owner is a Koi enthusiast too.



Old school toilet. It's better now, they have flush. 20 years ago, place like this where got flush.



There's no signboard on the restaurant.


Address:

New Beggar's Delicious Restaurant
Ijok, Selangor Darul Ehsan
Tel: 03-3279 1936 or 019 317 3687

GPS Coordinates:
N: 101 25' 8.7"
E: 3 18' 24.0"

Reservation is a must because of the time taken to prepare the dishes. Your mobile no. will be your reservation no. You'll get scolded if you don't show up after you booked.

9 comments :

Nikel Khor said...

wah..is nice place..

from Nikel Khor

Simon Seow said...

Nikel: yeah, not too bad for a getaway meal

baby: typo typo kekeke, I don't have editor to proof read mah

Pink Parisian said...

Ok this looks good. I gotta get my makan kakis together to make a road trip soon :D

Rebecca Saw said...

Great to hv u w us!! ;p
More outings on the way ya *wink*

Simon Seow said...

Sue: yupe road trip is nice

Reb: thanks for the invitation. yes more outings are good

KwOnG FeI said...

wow drooling for beggar chicken..
i think there isn't much place in Kl that can taste the original beggar chicken..
i usually seen that in chinese kungfu movie..haha
nanged for u~

DC said...

Looks like a nice place to relax with good food.

Simon Seow said...

Kwong Fei: yupe, because KL won't have that outdoor place to cook the chicken with bricks and woods

DC: nice and quiet away from the city.

Unknown said...

I just wanted to make a quick comment to say GREAT blog!….. I’ll be checking in on a regularly now….Keep up the good work Chowringhee Restaurent