Custom Search

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Going To Singapore Again!

By the time this post is up, most probably I'll be in KL Sentral taking the SkyWay bus to LCCT, Sepang. This time I'll be flying to Singapore instead of taking the bus like I normally did. The air tickets were booked 6 months ago when Air Asia is having promotion. RM 10 one-way for the air fare. I bought two-way, plus insurance, plus shuttle bus, plus baggage allowance, plus airport tax and it comes up to RM 201. Not too bad really, only slightly more expensive than my usual bus fares. Let's hope there's no delay. I'll be reaching Changi at about 1.35 p.m. if no delay. Just 1 hour of flight lol.

I'll blog about food that I had in Lavender Food Center about a month ago when I went for the Singapore F1 GP. On the 2nd day, I was looking for place to go for my breakfast. After doing some research on Dr. Lesley Tey's food blog, I decided to go to Lavender Food Center (now known as New Century Food Paradise) located at Jalan Besar.

One of the recommendation from Dr. Tey is the Bugis Street Beef Kuay Teow in the food center. Since I don't really know which bus to take from my hotel in City Hall to Jalan Besar. So, what I did is to take the MRT from City Hall station to Lavender station.

I like the locality map that is available in each MRT station, it is how I can find my way to the destination I want. I walk to the exit that will lead to Jalan Besar. I then was sort of lost. I was wandering around the area for 5 minutes and can't see any food center. I saw Singapore Pools, went in and bet on Liverpool vs Sunderland match. I bought SGD 10 on draw and SGD 10 on score of 2-2. The match really came out exactly the way I bet. LOL.



Okay. Back to searching for Lavender Food Center. At moment like this, it is time to open one's mouth and ask the locals there for direction. Sure enough, after I asked a motor spare parts owner, and I was able to find the food center.



It's not too hard to find the stall because you'll see the big cow head on their signage. I ordered a bowl of mixed beef with soup and kuay teow. The soup is really good. Not too overwhelming for spices or herbs. Just at the right amount. The beef is quite tender and the beef parts does not have the gamey taste. The only down side here is the kuay teow (flat rice noodle), I found it to be a bit too thick and not smooth enough, hence the soup was could not be absorbed by the kuay teow making it almost tasteless.

Rating: 3.5/5


Bugis Street Ngak Seah Beef Kuay Teow SGD $4 for mid size


Feeling that a bowl of beef kuay teow is not enough for a wholesome breakfast. I ordered Shanghai Xiao Long Bao from Ju Hao (聚豪), it's the stall next to Bugis Street Ngak Seah Beef Kuay Teow. SGD $5.50 for 8 pieces of dumplings.




The size of the dumpling is not small at all. They wrap the dumplings freshly everyday there at the stall and will only steam it when someone order.




I was quite skeptical at first, what kind of xiao long bao can be serve here in a food center. Once I bite into it, my skeptical was all gone. The meat juice in the xiao long bao is a lot. Even after I suck it all out and start to bite into the meat, there's still juice left. I think the xiao long bao here if not better can be on par with those food chains like Crystal Jade, Dragon-i or Ding Tai Fung.

Rating: 4.5/5



There are still many other Shanghai delicacies available here at Ju Hao. Too bad I was already very full after finishing eight dumplings. Maybe I'll bring my sis and my mum here to try the other stuffs.



It's a really pleasant surprise to find a hidden nice Shanghai dim sum and ramen stall here. I will surely come back for the xiao long bao.


Address:
Bugis Street Ngak Seah Beef Kuay Teow (Closed on alternate Wednesdays.)

Ju Hao Ramen Xiao Long Bao (聚豪拉面小笼包)

New Century Food Paradise (Also known as Lavender Food Square)
380, Jalan Besar
Singapore

Other Ppl's View:

ieatishootipost.sg

6 comments :

melmonica said...

Wooo... the Xiao Long Bao does look good. By the way you describe it makes me hungry. Okay, got to go and grab a bite. Cheerios~

Simon Seow said...

Ah, sorry to make you hungry :p

MsXeRoZ Nicole said...

WUAH~ im going SG too! on XMAS EVE

Hayley said...

Wah... the xiao long bao..... *Drooling*
Enjoy your trip at Sg~

Susan said...

Have fun!

Simon Seow said...

Nicole: nice, xmas very nice I heard.

Hayley: thanks ;)

Sholee: sure will ;)