Custom Search

Friday, March 19, 2010

Smelly Tofu (臭豆腐) at Prince Edward (太子), Hong Kong

After my lunch in Golden Bull Vietnamese Cuisine with my aunt. I took my cousin Selina's boyfriend's advise and took the MTR to Prince Edward (太子) station to look for one of the few shops that is still selling smelly tofu (臭豆腐) in Hong Kong. Smelly tofu is getting rare in this Special Administrative Region due to the public complaining and a very strict enforcement that street peddler that is selling smelly tofu disappear from the street.

It's quite easy to find the shop that sell smelly tofu. Take the MTR to Prince Edward station,I forgot which exit, so before you come out from the station, you check the map and look for Tung Choi Street (通菜街) and see which exit to take. The shop is just along Tung Choi Street. You'll know that you reached Tung Choi Street if you see there are a lot of shops selling aquarium and fish.




You will not miss the big 臭豆腐 hanging above the shop.




I know I came to the right place for smelly tofu when I saw that Chua Lam/Choi Lan (蔡瀾) also likes the smelly tofu here.



There are three sauces you can put on your smelly tofu here. Chili sauce, bean paste sauce and sweet sauce. I like to mixed all three sauces together, which is call 'wan jiong', which also sounds like trouble maker in Cantonese.




The smelly tofu (HKD 6 per piece) here is freshly deep fried, so it's still very crunchy but soft inside. Marinated to perfection. Put in my "wan jiong" and it's perfect. If not for the smell, I might not find this shop at all because my cousin Selina's boyfriend didn't really remember where is the shop lol.





Smelly tofu is not the only street food here. There's also curry fish ball and super spicy fish ball.




There are also street dim sum like siu mai,, fen cheong, loh mei, and beef ball.






Address:

Delicious Food (美味食店)
Tung Choi Street (通菜街), Prince Edward, Hong Kong, 太子水渠道30-32號A美星樓地下10號舖
Tel: +852 2142 7468


After I finished the smelly smelly tofu, I wanted to eat something cold. So, I walk along Nullah Road and found the Mister Softee truck just after the petrol station.




Mister Softee ice-cream is one of those food that you must not miss when you are in Hong Kong.


5 comments :

ai wei said...

stinky tofu is my FAVE!!! love the shenzhen version. have not tried HK version, dunno how it tastes

Simon Seow said...

ai wei: my fave too. I lik HK one more than the one in Malaysia. Not sure about the Shen Zhen because haven't been there before ;)

Baby: I will say that it's an acquired taste.

LilMeJo said...

Smelly tofu is not smelly ma?
Curious whether will the smell be too smelly for me until I don't dare to try it.. ^^"

Simon Seow said...

Jolyn: It's not smelly at all if you are used to it and it's very tasty.

Hayley said...

Seriously, how does smelly tofu actually taste like? =_=